Sunday, August 5, 2007

How you try on pants in Korea

How you try on pants in Korea as demonstrated by Matt while shopping at Dongdaemun this weekend.
Step 1: Pull the oversize skirt over your pants.
Step 2: Carefully remove your pants and put on the new pants.
Step 3: Pull up the skirt to show your friends how the new pants look.
Step 4: Carefully take off the new pants and put your pants back on. Remove the skirt.
Step 5: Do a little bargaining before you buy your new pants.
Dongdaemun is one of the best places to go shopping in Seoul. There are several huge malls which basically consist of 7 -8 floors of dozens of little stalls selling everything you could ever wear from shirts to pants to belts to shoes to jewelry. Since there are no dressing rooms, you try on clothes in the middle of the walkway.
It is not as easy as it looks to do this. After Matt bought his shorts, I had my turn with the skirt to try on a pair of shorts myself. Between my laughing, general clumsiness, and trying to avoid being bumped from all the people walking by, it's a wonder that I didn't fall over or reveal my underwear to everyone. Even though I had to try on 2 sizes, it was all worth it in the end because I got a nice new pair of shorts & a belt for 24,000 won (roughly $24 US).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Not sure how this 'ol granny' could cope with this dressing room. Do the old people do this or do they shop elsewhere?
Love, Grandma K